freakzspeaks

freakzspeaks

Monday 1 July 2013

Dim Sum @ Hoong Foong Dim Sum Restaurant, USJ 21/10


I don't mean to exaggerate but on my 2 weeks break back in Malaysia, I had dim sum thrice (yes, three times!) at Hoong Foong. I've always had a thing for dim sum so I will not get tired of them. Anyways, I had this so many times because it was near and convenient to where we were staying. I also met up with my ex-colleagues whom had highly recommended this place as well.
Salted Egg Siu Mai
They have quite a variety of dim sums. Panda and I loved the steam fish ball (yes, fish ball) and the har kau (prawn dumpling). I do admit that they have one of the best har kau around. The transparent har kau skin was really thin and you will not feel like eating some starchy wraps. The bacon-wrapped siu mai was really tasty as well but beware of the bacon calories for those weight-watchers ;P.



Har Kau (Prawn Dumpling)
Steam har kuin (fried prawn rolls)
The Fish Ball that Panda and I loved so much !!
We also had the prawn chee cheong fun (prawn rice noodle roll). They only have either char siew (roasted pork) or prawn chee cheong fun separately. Overall, it tasted ok; nothing to shout about; for me, it tasted like any other chee cheong fun though the serving was smaller than the other places I've eaten so far.
Prawn Chee Cheong Fun 
One thing that always attract me to dim sum restaurants is the custard bun (kam sa pau); not all dim sum restaurants have this. The best I've eaten so far is from a dim sum shop at Seri Kembangan. Hoong Foong's was quite ok too. It comes in threes and the size was just perfect; not too big or small. The consistency of the custard filling was just nice; not too diluted/watery to the point that it will splurt out when you take your first bite! Totally worth trying! They also have yam buns which I have yet to try.
Kam Sa Pau filling

Menu 1
Menu 2
Price ranges between RM 3 - RM 6 per plate; which I felt was quite reasonable for KL city (compared to what you can get in Canada here..@__@). Two people can easily pay a total of RM 40 for brunch. 
* Service seems slower on weekdays even though there are less people. Dim sums are steamed upon order. So, if you are in a hurry, save your dim sum meal for a weekend instead. It will be usually packed but we found a table almost immediately without any waiting. ( And food is served fast as well). 

Address: No: 77&79 , Jalan USJ 21/10, UEP Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia 47600
Website: https://www.facebook.com/hoongfoongdimsum
Opening hours: Mon - Sun 7 am to 3 pm

No comments :

Post a Comment